Skip to main content

The Shame Game

nytimes
Movie: Bad Moms

                

             What makes us mothers? Are we mothers because we brought little humans into the world? Literally speaking, yes. What does it mean to actually mother our kids, though? To mother, by definition, is to bring up a child with care and affection. Isn’t that what we all want for our children…that they feel loved and cared for? Yet, for many of us, in this age of social media and comparisons, we’ve sort of made motherhood into some sort of competition or at the very least a large motherhood clique in which we judge our friends and strangers based on their parenting choices. Who wins at momming?

                I don’t know about you, but for me, being a mom is hard enough without all the comparing myself to others and dealing with mom shaming. You’ve been there; I have, too. I’d go so far as to say that all of us moms have not only been victims of mom shaming (directly or indirectly), but we’ve been the perpetrators at some point, too. For those of you who have been lucky enough to escape this phenomenon, let me clue you in. Mom shaming is making another mother feel guilty or inferior because her parenting choices aren’t the ones you think are best. Now, I’m not talking about actual abuse and neglect…if that’s what’s happening, please speak up. Shaming another mother for using disposable diapers instead of cloth diapers, however, is maddening. Why do we do this to each other? Why do we care so much what other people think?

                As victims of mom shaming, we likely already feel like half of the time we have no idea what we are doing. As other mothers bash our way of parenting, we begin to internalize those words that seem to validate our insecurities that already exist. When I first became a mom almost seven years ago, I joined an online community of local moms on social media. My expectations were that I would be able to come to this group of women for encouragement and helpful advice and possibly even meet new mommy friends in the area. Sister, was I wrong! When my first baby girl was born, I struggled so much with breastfeeding. Even with the help from nurses in the hospital, neither my daughter nor I could quite catch (or latch) on. At my daughter’s first weigh in at her pediatrician’s office, she had lost weight from last weigh in at the hospital. I felt like a complete failure as a mom and cried for days. Shortly after that appointment, I met with a lactation consultant to help resolve any issues. This did not help at all. I was not producing enough milk to keep up with my daughter’s needs despite feeding and pumping appropriately. I even took a fenugreek supplement to aid in increasing my supply. Nothing helped.  I turned to the mom group for advice.  At this point I was supplementing my daughter’s feedings with formula. I made the mistake of mentioning this to the mom group. Long story short, I was “educated” on the whole breast is best issue; I was told I wasn’t trying hard enough to increase supply; I was criticized for doing such a forbidden thing as feeding my child formula rather than letting her starve. I felt even worse, and it affected my mothering in a negative way. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t feel mom-shamed in other areas even now. It’s an ongoing struggle.

                Let’s remember why we are mothers. God chose us to be the mothers of our specific children. He trusts every one of us to raise His children. He knows that we each have the ability to love and care for our children. It’s not important what other mothers think of us. Isn’t it most important that our children have a loving, caring mother who lives to please the LORD? Do you want to know what God thinks of us mothers? He shows us in Proverbs 31 in the Bible: “She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come. 26She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue. 27She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness. 28Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: 29’Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all.’ 30Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.”

                Yes! The LORD trusts us to be mothers to His precious children; let’s also remember that we mothers are His precious children as well. It’s important what God thinks of us, and He thinks we’re doing our best. Let’s tell other mothers how awesome of a job they are doing in this whole mom thing. The Bible instructs us to do just that in 1 Thessalonians 5:11 when it says “Encourage one another and build each other up, as just in fact you are doing.”  If you’re doing the best you can day-to-day, then you’re doing a fantastic job, Momma!  Being a mother certainly isn’t easy, but with God’s help and encouragement from each other, we will show our children an abundance of love and care; just as our Heavenly Father shows to us mothers. Let’s give ourselves and each other the grace God gives to each of us. We are all winning motherhood!



Today’s Prayer:

Dear Heavenly Father;

Thank you for allowing me to become a mother. Though I sometimes doubt in my abilities as a mom, you, oh LORD, remind me of my worth. Thank you for giving me strength and showing me how to love as you love. Please help me to remember that I live to please you alone and not other mothers. Please help me to show my children love and care every single day. Please also help me to remember to encourage other mothers and build them up. I love you, LORD.

In Jesus’s name I pray,

Amen



Today’s Worship Song:

A Mother’s Prayer by Keith and Kristyn Getty

Hold my hand, I'll teach you the Way to go
Through the joys, through the tears

The journey of these years, He is with us till the end
He is faithful till the end

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peace in Uncertainty

 Holy Moly! I really skipped over all of 2020?! That’s so 2020 isn’t it? Too bad we couldn’t have truly skipped it, right!? In some ways it was good for us, though. Hear me out.  Despite being at home for most of 2020, things seemed as busy as ever. Suddenly I was thrown into the wonderful world of NTI with my elementary school kiddo. Thankfully, my kids go to an amazing school with superhero-esque teachers! Still, I was a stressed mess. The initial freak-out about COVID-19 had me on high alert 24/7 because I thought my oldest daughter was at high risk due to her autoimmune disorder. This was also before we knew how the virus affected kids. I truly realized that my initial response to anything new or uncertain was fear and panic. Even after all these years of being a Christ follower. You’d think I would have learned after the millionth panic-ish attack that Jesus is in control. Why do I tend to panic first and pray last in times of uncertainty? What does this say about my faith? I mean

Let’s Be Real...

It’s been a crazy long time since I’ve written a blog entry. It’s also been a crazy time in general.    The past couple of months have been an absolute whirlwind, yet I have no idea why... and somehow I’ve stumbled upon November. Wasn’t it just July?  July was maybe the last time I truly felt like myself for an extended period of time. Since then, I’ve struggled. I had gotten pretty low and was basically existing between naps (long ones). I have been dealing with a mixture of some delayed grief that I had finally allowed myself to feel, PMDD symptoms (Pre-Menstrual Dysphoric Disorder), and the typical    affective changes with the changing of seasons. I’ve felt like a horrible wife, mother, and person in general. I allowed Satan’s lies to tell me over and over again that everyone else I know is such a better wife and mother than me. Then I allowed myself a lot of pity parties along the way. And in the meantime, I neglected my time with God so I wasn’t arming myself or recei

Where the Sidewalk Ends and Our Lives Begin

"In all your ways, submit to Him and He will make your paths straight." --Proverbs 3:6 At the beginning of June, my husband (Brian) and I went on a vacation. Just the two of us. It was the first time since our honeymoon that we'd been on the beach without our kids. I love family vacations, but there is something about being able to just be still and not have to focus on much of anything. Last year was such a tough year in watching my dad's battle with stomach cancer and then ultimately losing him last July. This vacation was the first time I've truly been able to face my own grief without having someone else to care for. Grief had gotten my attention. Fortunately, God was also able to get my attention. Not that I hadn't been focusing on God much, but I had realized that up until the point of our vacation, I'd struggled to truly hear God. My mind had been so focused on the million other things also going on in my life and in the lives of those