Skip to main content

A Heart Like David’s



Lately, I’ve been kind of stagnant in my prayer life, burnt out on worship, and just worn down spiritually. Though I’m not able to pinpoint the reason(s) why I feel this way, I recognize that this happens from time to time. Anyone else?

Maybe you’re feeling guilty about a particular sin that has a stronghold on you. Maybe you’re going through a tough season where everything is just overwhelming. Maybe you’re a tad angry with God or with others. Whatever the reason may be, when we experience times like this, it is us who puts the distance between us and God. Not the other way around.

What I’ve found is that, every once in awhile, I need a sort of reset with God. Through these times, even if I feel like I’m just going through the motions, it’s important to just keep going. To keep praying. To keep reading His word. To be persistent in seeking Him.

I am, for the millionth time probably, praying for a renewed spirit. To get back on track in my relationship with God. I will pray this prayer David prayed after sinning against God in adultery with Bathsheba. Though he was highly favored by God, he was human. He, too, needed a renewed spirit and a purified heart.

If you feel the need to pray this prayer, please join me:

Dear Heavenly Father,
Thank you for sticking by me though I have created distance between us. Though I may never understand why I continue to create this distance, please give me a renewed spirit so that I may draw close to you and have you draw close to me. Remind me of the heart I have for you. Help me to once again experience the joy that comes from your saving grace.
In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peace in Uncertainty

 Holy Moly! I really skipped over all of 2020?! That’s so 2020 isn’t it? Too bad we couldn’t have truly skipped it, right!? In some ways it was good for us, though. Hear me out.  Despite being at home for most of 2020, things seemed as busy as ever. Suddenly I was thrown into the wonderful world of NTI with my elementary school kiddo. Thankfully, my kids go to an amazing school with superhero-esque teachers! Still, I was a stressed mess. The initial freak-out about COVID-19 had me on high alert 24/7 because I thought my oldest daughter was at high risk due to her autoimmune disorder. This was also before we knew how the virus affected kids. I truly realized that my initial response to anything new or uncertain was fear and panic. Even after all these years of being a Christ follower. You’d think I would have learned after the millionth panic-ish attack that Jesus is in control. Why do I tend to panic first and pray last in times of uncertainty? What does this say about my faith? I mean

Let’s Be Real...

It’s been a crazy long time since I’ve written a blog entry. It’s also been a crazy time in general.    The past couple of months have been an absolute whirlwind, yet I have no idea why... and somehow I’ve stumbled upon November. Wasn’t it just July?  July was maybe the last time I truly felt like myself for an extended period of time. Since then, I’ve struggled. I had gotten pretty low and was basically existing between naps (long ones). I have been dealing with a mixture of some delayed grief that I had finally allowed myself to feel, PMDD symptoms (Pre-Menstrual Dysphoric Disorder), and the typical    affective changes with the changing of seasons. I’ve felt like a horrible wife, mother, and person in general. I allowed Satan’s lies to tell me over and over again that everyone else I know is such a better wife and mother than me. Then I allowed myself a lot of pity parties along the way. And in the meantime, I neglected my time with God so I wasn’t arming myself or recei

Where the Sidewalk Ends and Our Lives Begin

"In all your ways, submit to Him and He will make your paths straight." --Proverbs 3:6 At the beginning of June, my husband (Brian) and I went on a vacation. Just the two of us. It was the first time since our honeymoon that we'd been on the beach without our kids. I love family vacations, but there is something about being able to just be still and not have to focus on much of anything. Last year was such a tough year in watching my dad's battle with stomach cancer and then ultimately losing him last July. This vacation was the first time I've truly been able to face my own grief without having someone else to care for. Grief had gotten my attention. Fortunately, God was also able to get my attention. Not that I hadn't been focusing on God much, but I had realized that up until the point of our vacation, I'd struggled to truly hear God. My mind had been so focused on the million other things also going on in my life and in the lives of those